Lip injections is a cosmetic procedure that aims to give you fuller, plumper lips. Full lips have often been associated with beauty and youth. Since the early 1900s, surgeons have experimented with injecting various substances into the lips. In the beginning, liquid paraffin was tried but unsuccessfully. Next, in the early 1960s, liquid silicone was used, but concerns arose about the safety of silicone, and the use of silicone ceased about 30 years later. Around 1980, bovine collagen was introduced into the field of cosmetic surgery and became the standard against which other injectables were measured.
Today, fillers containing hyaluronic acid or substances similar to hyaluronic acids such as Restylane and Juvéderm are used in most cosmetic procedures. Hyaluronic acid is a substance that occurs naturally in the body and, therefore, is considered safe for use in the human body. Hyaluronic is also lasts longer than collagen and is less likely to result in an allergic reaction than collagen.
Types of Fillers
In addition to hyaluronic acid fillers, there are other types available. Below is a quick description of some of the options.
- JUVÉDERM Ultra XC, for versatility for versatility in contouring and volumizing facial wrinkles and folds. Can also be used for thinning lips .Results lasting up to 1 year.
- JUVÉDERM Ultra Plus XC, for a more robust formulation for volumizing and correcting deeper folds and facial wrinkles. Results lasting up to 1 year.
- JUVÉDERM Vollure, softens moderate to severe parentheses lines and wrinkles by adding volume to the lines and wrinkles around your nose and mouth to produce subtle and long-lasting results for up to 18 months. This allows us to tailor treatment to meet your unique needs.
- JUVÉDERM Volbella, a soft and subtle formula to give your lips a more natural- looking plumper lips. Results lasting up to a year.
- JUVÉDERM Voluma is the first and only FDA-approved filler to instantly add volume to the cheek area. Volume loss in the cheeks is one of the main reasons we lose that youthful look over time. With Voluma being injected under the skin we add volume and a subtle lift to the cheek area. This temporarily reverses the signs of aging. Voluma contains a numbing agent called lidocaine to help make the treatment as comfortable as possible for our client’s.
You can obtain this youthful look in 30 minutes or less with our highly trained injectors with results lasting up to 2 years.
All of these products are injected in the same way and provide similar results. Also, some contain lidocaine (a local anesthetic), which helps to mitigate discomfort during the injection process.
Benefits of Fillers
Hyaluronic acid fillers are the most commonly used type of filler in Anchorage, Alaska, and throughout the United States. They have no risk of allergic reaction or rejection as they derived from a naturally occurring product in the body. Once injected the gel in the filler supports and shapes the lip’s tissue, helping the lip to appear fuller. The benefits of hyaluronic acid fillers for the lips include:
Control over the volume of the lip
The amount of filler injected into the lip can be controlled, and therefore the doctor has better control over how much volume is created in the lips.
Gradual treatment progress
Hyaluronic acid injections can be given gradually over time until the desired results are achieved.
Bumps dissolve easily
Any lumps and bumps created by the movement of the lips can be dissolved easily. This is not the case with some other types of lip injections.
Hyaluronic acid fillers may create less bruising and swelling when compared to other fillers.
The results of hyaluronic acid fillers generally last for approximately six months. While not permanent, six months is longer than some other options requiring fewer repeat treatments.
Reduced risk of allergic reaction
Because hyaluronic acid fillers are made from substances similar to those naturally occurring in the body, they are unlikely to cause an allergic reaction.
What to Expect During the Procedure
Injectable lip augmentation procedures can be performed quickly and easily at a professional skincare facility such as Solara Skin & Laser Center in Anchorage, Alaska. The procedure requires little to no downtime. The one exception to this is fat injections, as this procedure involves removing fat from another area of your body before the injection can occur.
Before the injections, your skincare professional at Solar Skin & Laser Center will apply a topical or numbing agent to the lips to help alleviate any potential discomfort you may experience during the injections. After carefully marking the areas to be injected, very fine needles are used to inject the fillers into your lips. You should notice a difference immediately.
Side Effects and Risks
The side effects associated with hyaluronic acid fillers are temporary and, in most cases, only last a couple of days. Common side effects may include:
- Injection site bleeding
- Swelling and bruising
- Tenderness or redness at or around the injection site
More severe side effects or risks may include:
- Asymmetry of the lips (parts of the lips are different sizes)
- Severe and prolonged swelling or bruising lasting more than ten days
- Lumps and irregularities in the lips
- Injection into a blood vessel which can result in tissue loss
- Ulceration, scarring or stiffening of the lip
Are Lip Injections Right for You?
If you are considering lip injections, the first thing you should consider is why you want to modify your lips. Although temporary in some cases, lip augmentation is an alteration to your appearance and should not be undergone without consideration and consultation from a professional.
Before undergoing lip augmentation, you should be in good health and a nonsmoker. You may not be a good candidate for the procedure if you have an active oral infection such as oral herpes (cold sores), diabetes, lupus, or blood clotting problems. You should also tell your skin care professional if you have ever had oral herpes in the past (as the procedure can reactivate your cold sores), known allergies to lidocaine, other allergies, and any medications you are taking including prescription, over the counter and herbal supplements.
The most important part of your decision process is to find a doctor or skincare professional who is qualified and experienced giving injections. Lip augmentation, although generally safe, can pose a significant risk of the person giving the injections is inexperienced or unqualified.
If you are considering lip augmentation and want to learn more about the procedure, contact us at Solara Skin & Laser Center in Anchorage, Alaska today. We will schedule a time to teach you about lip augmentation and talk to you about whether the procedure is right for you. If you live in the Anchorage area come, see us today about lip augmentation and so much more.